Preparing for Rith 2012
Preparing for the Rith
- Buy a kilometre for your school on www.rith.ie or by calling Rith's office at 01 4757401
- Organise a competition in the school with the winner selected to carry the Rith baton when Rith 2012 reaches your school kilometre
- Download the Rith 2012 school support pack - available from December
- Make welcoming signs for the community and disperse them in your town or community. We've included some templates in the school support package.
- Design and make a Flag to welcome Rith 2012. What not get an old sheet and colour it in [See www.rith.ie re a special flag competition]
- Organise a welcoming sign for Rith 2012 at the edge of your town
- Hang ‘Bunting’ along the route of Rith 2012
- Design some props to welcome Rith 2012
- Talk to your local radio stations about Rith 2012
- Put a notice about Rith 2012 in your local newspaper and in the parish newsletter
- Distribute information leaflets about Rith 2012 in your area, especially around the event route
- Distribute information leaflets about Irish language services and classes in your area
- Design and wear T-Shirts, Hats etc. for Rith 2012
- Learn the Rith song from our inaugural festival in 2010
Participation in the Rith
- Run your own kilometre with a group of students, with one person selected to run with the baton!
- Organise groups of students to line the route supporting the runners
- Face painting
- Dress up in costumes of fancy dress and
- Do the "Haka Gaelach". Teach the words and actions. The details are in the school support package. Tip! Google the term "Haka Gaelach"!
- Make noise! ( Bodhrán, drums, shakers &rl)
- If Rith 2012 reaches you after dark...glow sticks, torches, candles, lanterns, hi-viz clothing &rl
- Cheerleaddrs with Pom Poms agus streamers
- Organise music and amplify it with a sound system
- Create pride in the Irish language and your town/county. Wear your county colours!
- Create some atmosphere with a megaphone to motivate the crowd
- Speak Irish to everyone that you meet!
- Take lots of photos - Rith 2012 will have a photo competition for the best photo
- Use Rith 2012 to practice for St. Patrick's Day parade
- Organise a Céilí or dance performance on the day that Rith 2012 comes to town
- Organise your own mini-run in your area, especially if you're not on the Rith 2012 route
- Organise a Sports Day for your area
- Plan a treasure hunt around the theme of Rith 2010 and celebration of Irish culture
- Invite local sports clubs to be present and to take part in your events
- Organise an event in conjunction with your local schouts/guides club
- Organise a social function in your community on the night of the Rith 2012 run
To get information or to download the Rith 2012 school support pack (Irish language only) --> Click HERE